Sunday, October 16, 2011

October 16, 2011

Friday morning October 14, 2011  L’Abri day 6

L’Abri offers an incredibly unique experience.  Tomorrow afternoon will complete my first week here.  Happily, I’ve finally learned the layout of the house as well as all the names (and roles) of students and staff.  I’ve figured out the schedule and am no longer the last one to arrive at meals because I couldn’t figure out where everyone was!  Ugggh.  I’m coming to know a lot about many of the people here and their unique back grounds, why they chose to come, and the like.  I’ve even enjoyed my first day off exploring the Massachusetts countryside with my friend Brenda.  At this point, I finally consider myself a full fledge L’Abri student, and things I only wondered about before make sense now.  While I am loving this experience, it is also eye opening and challenging.

Sad to say, I did not before realize how dependent I have become upon modern conveniences such as easy access to the internet, my own transportation, and the ability to access, via the market place, anything I need or want when I need or want it.  Also, I’m used to making coffee if and when I want it, and eating what I choose rather than what someone else chooses for me. Wow!  Also, I have known for a long while that I am quite independent, but L’Abri is giving me the opportunity to realize just how much so.  For example: right now, I’m feeling some frustration, because I want to continue writing this entry, but I’m watching the clock in the corner of my screen telling me that I need to report for chore assignments in nine minutes…so, I am writing furiously in a frustrated effort to get my thoughts entered before…  I’m so very much not used to this… ummm….  The discipline is good for me, yet as with most discipline, it is challenging until you get used to it!  I can see why this is good for me, and I’m glad I’m doing this.  It’s been only 6 days—feels like much longer.  Good, but hard.

Hugs…

Dears,

Oh my goodness, our brothers and sisters of color certainly know how to actively worship with charisma and pizzazz!  Whew!  Very inspirational! We just arrived back from church this morning.  During my stay here, I am worshiping at an African American Fellowship in Framingham, MA.  I enjoy it tremendously!  Today was Ladies Sunday, and the majority of the women wore white clothes with purple accents.  My goodness, that was so beautiful!  And, one thing I really enjoy is the way the clergy and choir enter the church.  They do so in a spirited processional to the beat of Southern Gospel music. It surprised me how touched I was the first time I witnessed this.  The preaching is spirited as well—no one dozes off in these meetings!  It has been fun and spiritual.  The Keyes are members of this church, and they enjoy being in the minority. 

I continue to be challenged here at L’Abri, and it is good—excellent for me really.  I am learning much about the Old Testament, and I mentioned to my mentor yesterday that perhaps, when all this is over, I may actually understand the Old Testament in a similar way as the New Testament.   

I’m a little sleepy, so think I might catch a few winks before I have to head down for lunch.
Hugs…

I will finally get some more pictures posted.  Photography is one of my hobbies, so do forgive so many pics to share!  Enjoy... 

No comments:

Post a Comment