Sunday, October 23, 2011

Living in the present...

October 17, 2011:  L’Abri, Day 9

Three years ago today, my darling little granddaughter Emma was born.   Yesterday (a day early) was her party, and  being that I am on opposite sides of the continent, I missed it, of course.  My thoughts were on her and my family for the greater part of the day, and I was taken aback by how homesick I felt.  It’s not easy to miss a family gathering especially when it’s for one of my precious grandbabies.  I called her on the phone and four of my fellow L’Abri students joined me in singing Happy Birthday to her.  But, the ritual only served to increase my longing to embrace her with a huge Birthday squeeze and to just let her little head rest on my shoulder—she is a snuggler! Needless to say, the day was difficult, but it did give me an excuse to talk about her to everyone and to share pictures, sent by her mommy, with her standing next to the Thomas the Train birthday cake she and her mommy had baked.  Today (the day after the party) I am feeling more focused and pleased that I made it through, and the birthday party is now in the past.  One of my goals for my experience here at L’Abri is to overcome homesickness, so yesterday was a milestone for me. I’m feeling much happier today.


Later today: 
We just broke for Afternoon Tea, and I was chatting with Dick Keyes, the director here.  We were talking about modern electronic devices and their tendency to rob people from living in the present and in the “real” and “now.”  I mentioned my personal discovery—since I’ve been on this trip –of how internet dependent I have become and the challenge the lack of access has presented me. 

As we were chatting, lights started going off in my brain… Ummm… Let’s see, I’m here at the famous L’Abri with so much that I love right at my fingertips, insightful lectures, book readings and discussions, activities, well read, well traveled, and “thinking” people; the list goes on and on… yet I’m having a struggle…?  What on earth for? Internet access???  Pleeeaaase!  I don’t think so! 

It dawned on me that here I am living this amazing experience; yet sometimes, I’m only partially present.  I’ll find myself thinking of other things like perhaps the next adventure, or of the birthday party I missed, or of the next L’Abri I may visit… and on and on.  I am realizing how easily present reality can seem mundane simply because it’s real and we’re in it.  I find it interesting that regardless of the adventure the adage is true: “Where ever you go, there you are.”  So true. 

I decided then that I would work to stay focused on the present and to enjoy it fully for the adventurous reality that it truly is.  This decision has been good for me.  Though I still think of home, my family, and other things, I am not homesick.  I don't let those thoughts interfere with the joy of the present--the joy of the journey!

Hugs... 

No comments:

Post a Comment